Friday, June 20, 2008

Friday, June 20, 2008

IT STINKS. I noticed "the smell", beginning about 6:30 pm this evening, sitting outside. It kept getting stronger and stronger, and I went inside at 7:30 pm. I called the Carthage Office (417-358-1524) of Missouri Department of Natural Resources (MDNR) and left a message. The voice message invited me to call the Springfield Regional Office (417-891-4300) of MDNR. I was not able to leave a message there. Their voice message invited me to contact MDNR's 24-hour hotline (573-634-2436). I called and spoke with a MDNR staff. After identifying myself as calling from Carthage, the staff member said the following four things: (1) that he "had received other complaints this evening from Carthage"; (2) that "air pollution regulations are not adequate to deal with this"; (3) that he had been "instructed not to call and have anyone go out" and respond when a call come in from Carthage complaining about Renewable Environmental Solutions, LLC.(RES); and (4) for me to "call and leave a message at the local Carthage office".
I could not believe what I was hearing. I repeated what I thought the MDNR staff person had said, and he confirmed that I had written it down correctly. Obviously, we have more than one problem tonight in Carthage.

3 Comments:

At June 23, 2008 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are assuming like others in Carthage that it IS RES. Having lived here for many years, and having checked the odor out myself, I found it to be eminating from Butterballs facility that night. Other nights I have smelled burnt odors from Leggett on Central. That has been going on for years.

 
At August 06, 2008 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Joplin rather than Carthage, so I hope I will be forgiven for taking an academic approach to this subject. One thing is clear from reading the reports--although there are clearly bad smells downwind of the plant, there are other plants in the same area that theoretically could be the culprit. The only way of determining this for sure is by (1) going around all the possible culprits with scent meters and determining where the pollutants are most concentrated, and (2) selectively shutting down each and every suspect and see what difference it makes.

 
At September 13, 2008 10:59 PM, Blogger bella said...

I called the 24 hour line Sat. night 9/13/08. They said they are no longer accepting any calls for Carthage, that's encouraging!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home