Sunday, August 22, 2010

Update & Recent Activity

It has been 17 months since RES was closed, and Carthage has (coincidentally) been "stink-free" since then. Recently there has been some activity regarding RES's desire to re-start the plant. Here are links to recent newspaper articles, describing Changing World's intentions.

RES in Carthage working to resume operations, The mayor cited two meetings in the last week, one with plant officials and another with plant officials and potential investors who are considering backing a plant start-up. He said officials are working to line up financing and are offering no time line on when the plant might resume operation. He said company officials say the plant will process waste oil and grease, but will not rule out the eventual proceesing of animal by-products."They said it will be an odor-free operation," he said. “I told them I’m from Missouri, and they’ll have to show me.” Company officials “were very open with me” in the discussions which Harris said left him “cynical, but hopeful. “I’d like to see them re-open, with an odor-free operation, because Carthage needs the jobs,” he said. “But I told them if there was an odor problem, I’d do everything in my power to shut then down.” Joplin Globe, July 28, 2010

City Manager: RES may reopen, Jim Crum, RES Plant manager told the City that they planned to use grease and old fry oil as the feedstock for the plant instead of the turkey offal and feathers that were used when the plant operated in the past. Mr Crum said the plant may reopen sometime in the next six months and they could operate odor-free. Carthage Press, April 14, 2010

6 Comments:

At November 30, 2010 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We live 4 miles E of Carthage on Gum Road and I am just wondering if the plant has reopened because it stinks terrible out here at 10 p.m. November 30th, 2010!!!! If it has reopened PLEASE shut it back down!! My family members are actually getting sick from the smell!!!

 
At November 30, 2010 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We live 4 miles E of Carthage on Gum Road and I am just wondering if the plant has reopened because it stinks terrible out here at 10 p.m. November 30th, 2010!!!! If it has reopened PLEASE shut it back down!! My family members are actually getting sick from the smell!!!

 
At December 01, 2010 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To report an odor violation, call:
Missouri Department of Natural Resources (MDNR)
MDNR Southwest Regional Office 417-891-4300
MDNR Carthage Satellite Office 417-359-1524 or 417-359-1525
MDNR 24-Hour weekend number 573-634-2436

 
At January 12, 2011 12:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, George, PLEASE shut it down ! Oh, wait, it's already down . . . curious, isn't it. Your stinking blog has people convinced that every stink in Carthage came from RES when they aren't even running, including your own stinking sewer treatment plant. One comment even said it smells like raw sewage (obviously the sewer plant, not RES) My son used to work at RES, and it stunk. Butterball stinks, Schreiber stinks, ADM stinks and so does Carthage. I've lived here all my life, and it has always stunk. Stunk when I was growing up, stinks now. I hope they get it going again, I hope they are successful, and I hope they don't hire anyone from Carthage.

 
At May 02, 2012 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the Schreiber plant on Fairview most definitely.Clear on the opposite side of town from where RES is. The smell has been here for the past 4 years. Here it is 10:30am and the smell is so bad it's making me sick. RES got a bum rap most definitely. I guess it's just politics as usual.

 
At May 02, 2012 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK Anonymous, let's refocus on the south side of town. I don't like the smell that I get in my car, driving on Fairview, in the proximity of the Schreiber-Fairview Plant. What is your plan? Who have you notified about the smell (coming from the Schriber Foods-Fairview Plant)? Let's get organized.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home